Text Casella to 97211
Founded in 1975, Casella Waste Systems, Inc. is a publicly traded company (CWST) and one of the nation's leading providers of waste and recycling services. Casella currently employs more than 2,500 employees throughout Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania and serves customers in more than 40 states. We are especially proud of our support and dedication to the success of our local communities throughout the northeast region and beyond.
Part of the Critical Infrastructure Industry, Casella protects the health and safety of our society and prevents any debilitating impact on the communities we serve. We are constantly developing and investing in innovative solutions to build a better tomorrow for future generations.
In every way, our most important resource is our people. Our deep understanding of resource renewal also guides us in cultivating a culture of lifelong learning and career growth and flows naturally from our deepest core values and our unwavering dedication to safety and wellness.
We believe the work we do is vitally important and meaningful and that our employees are the stewards of our region’s breathtaking natural beauty. We seek to hire the most talented and dedicated people to grow our business and serve our customers.
Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for performing all new driver and laborer training and retaining consistent with Company training policies and standards. Additional responsibilities include assigning, supervising, and reviewing the work of others engaged in solid waste and recycling collection and disposal activities. Work is of considerable difficulty and involves continuous planning, scheduling and routing assignments of personnel to ensure work is effectively performed with a major focus enhancing the operations department’s performance and customer experience objectives.
- Participate in new driver/laborer selection
- Oversee a group of drivers including daily & weekly staffing schedules to ensure routes are serviced safely and in a timely manner
- Perform onboarding with new hired drivers/laborers with the intent of introduction to Casella core values
- Coordinate daily/weekly/monthly staffing schedules with Operations Manager for adequate staffing and route coverage.
- Audit services, routes, and road conditions, for safety and efficiency and providing recommendations to dispatch and the Division Management team
- Assist in the planning and execution of re-routes to maximize efficiency
- Monitor and coach driver’s and laborer’s performance and behaviors, while recommending training, or retraining as needed in order to ensure compliance with company and safety policies and productivity expectations
- Train drivers to safely operate CDL trucks along designated routes, properly access and use disposal sites, read and notate route sheets, follow maps and service customers as identified on the route sheet or as assigned by the dispatcher and/or supervisor
- Ability & willingness to cover routes and/or facility operator positions as needed
- Learn all assigned routes in order to properly staff and schedule drivers and laborers as needed
- Complete all training documentation with all new drivers/laborers on a timely basis
- Work with operations to schedule and complete all retrains with drivers as needed
- Preform yearly on road driving re certifications with all existing drivers
- Courteously interact with all customers, regulators, dispatchers and others daily to ensure all customer routes are serviced in a safe, timely and professional manner
- Continuously monitor collection activity for evidence of unacceptable performance or materials
- Work with Operations Manager to perform post-accident/incident investigations and retraining.
- Continuously monitor the condition of vehicles to ensure they are operationally ready to minimize down time
- Maintain adherence to required productivity standards for the department to ensure all customers are serviced in a safe, timely and efficient manner
- Measure and establish standard route times and productivity standards and oversee work with the Operations Team to meet those standards on a daily basis
- Identify areas of service, safety and productivity that require attention and coordinate with the Division Management Team to implement improvement plans
- Follow all required safety policies and procedures
- Provide support to the Division Operations Team as needed including dispatch and facility operations
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Education, Experience & Qualifications:
- Must meet all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Requirements and possess a clean safety record
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- High school diploma, GED required or equivalent work experience
- CDL B license with Air brake endorsement
- One-year clean CDL driving experience
- Good customer service skills to meet and exceed customer expectations
- Acts in a professional, courteous and cooperative manner toward customers and co-workers while fostering a sense of honesty and trustworthiness in the workplace
- Excellent time management and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adhere to Company rules, policies and promotes the Company’s safety standards, while taking steps to minimize inappropriate risks
- Ensures that work is performed to the quality Casella standards and ensures all goals are accomplished in a timely manner
- Proven commitment to safety
- Strong work ethic
- Positive, team-oriented attitude
- Customer service mindset
- Open to personal and professional training and development
- Excellent Safety record
- Continuous improvement mindset
We offer excellent benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and a 401(k) Plan.
Casella Waste Systems, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an environment of inclusion and mutual respect where opportunities are available to all applicants and team members without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, military and veteran status, status as individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state laws. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success as a company and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people.